Thursday, July 31, 2014

Past The Fact


I guess I should probably wrap up my Bahamas trip since it's already been about, oh, two months since I got back from it. I apologize that instead of posting pigs on Caribbean beaches, I've been whining about a breakup, but I don't do well with breakups (shocking, I know). I never greet them thinking "hey, we tried, things didn't work out, we have some nice memories to look back on, best of luck in life, let's be friends and pretend we never had any romantic feelings for one another." I truly do not understand how people seem to do that so easily, because all I can think is that I just wasted a lot of time and a lot of emotions and it was all essentially for nothing, and that it's so strange to immediately go from being so close to being basically strangers. I'm immature and melodramatic, sure, but I think the people who deal with breakups rationally and maturely are actually the batshit crazy ones.

While I know it's likely not the healthiest approach, and it's easier to say than do, my only coping mechanisms are to just block my ex and our entire relationship from my memory as fast as possible, pretend that none of it ever existed, and move on. It's probably too soon to be moving on, but it's definitely more appealing than sitting at home alone, crying into my wine over someone who doesn't want me. I know I'm not perfect, but I took total responsibility for my own negative contributions to the relationship and sincerely offered to do anything I could to fix them, and he just gave up. Despite all my posts blaming myself for everything, it wasn't all me, but he wasn't willing to work on anything or even just give me a chance to. He just bolted when things got tough, essentially making everything he had ever told me bullshit. So no, I'm not going to sit home like some rejected, moping asshole. He wasted enough of my time, I'm moving on.

Shit. This is not what this post was supposed to be about. I guess that means I had more to say, but c'est la vie, let's move on to happier things.. like an entire island in the Caribbean inhabited only by wild, swimming pigs!

Our last two nights we stayed at Staniel Cay, which is one of the few islands in the area with any kind of infrastructure, and it just so happens to be next to Big Major Cay, which is home to the famous swimming pigs. I had heard of them before and was more excited to see them than do pretty much anything else on this trip. In anticipation, my mind was filled with images of me frolicking down a deserted beach, followed by my trusty pack of pigs, and tossing apples and bananas to them in a carefree fashion. This mental image, however, was temporarily halted when we finally got to the beach and were immediately greeted with ENORMOUS pigs swimming out to our little dinghy with their mouths open. And when I say swimming out to our dinghy, I really mean chasing the dinghy everywhere, so aggressively that I was actually scared to get out, and I'm not someone who scares easily when it comes to animals.


You can't tell how big this pig is by the photo, but she was definitely big enough to do some damage if she so chose (see this photo). I was both in love and terrified at the same time, as well as disappointed that my happy mental image was quickly shattering. But luckily I finally saw another tourist approach the beach and fearlessly disembark their vessel, and the bloodbath I imagined did not ensue, so I hopped out as well and the frolicking commenced.
(Please forgive the blurry iPhone photos)

Yes, that is shit floating in the water. But this is my happy place.

Will maniacally chase boat for food.


There were always different pigs on the beach each time I went back, and I wanted to know where they were going when they weren't begging for food from every random tourist who motored up to the beach. I started sneaking back into the brush and trees, and found this adorable sight of little buddies nestled together in the shade. My heart melted.


Please forgive the blurry iPhone photos, as that's just about all I took photos with at this point. But I do have a couple from a DSLR that are pretty great:


This one of my dad on his dinghy with one of the bigger pigs just camped up beside him is one of my favorite photos from the trip. I can't believe the things my parents put up with just to make me happy, because I know hanging out with hungry, wild pigs is not their first choice of activities for a Bahamas vacation.


We didn't just go to pig beach while staying in Staniel Cay, though. We also visited Thunderball Grotto, the site of two James Bond movies Thunderball and Never Say Never Again. It was also apparently one of the locations in Splash, which I didn't know at the time. It's an unbelievable cave, and no photo I took does it any justice.

I can't believe this is the best photo I have of the cave! I need to go through my dad's GoPro footage and take some stills..


Staniel Cay was fancy enough to actually have a "yacht club". The quotation marks are there because I've never been to a yacht club that didn't at least have windows, but I love open air everything and it was way more my style than any other yacht club I've been to on my dad's boat.

I love these seats made out of barrels, and I always love colorful paint, and things hanging from the ceiling, and old photos on the walls.

So, that's about it. Here's a (non-iPhone) photo from our last night on the boat. I did wake up at the crack of dawn the next morning and steal my dad's dinghy to go back and see the pigs one last time, but after that we had to fly out.

After a week of beautiful weather, it rained on the last morning. I can't imagine a more fond farewell.

3 comments:

Rick Kilby said...

Is it sea water or fresh water in the cave? Amazing palaces...

Octohawk said...

Sea water, so there's all kinds of coral and fish in the cave, too. Amazing. I can't wait to see the GoPro footage.

Nova said...

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I'M SO JEALOUS OF THIS VACATION

All these photos are beautiful!!